If you’ve just found mushrooms growing inside your home, you’re probably quite shocked and maybe a little distressed. Mushrooms should be found in your fridge or in a field, not in your bathtub!
However, it’s surprisingly common to find a mushroom or two growing inside the home. Fungi grows in places which are moist and which have a source of food together with the right temperature and access to oxygen. Although it’s never pleasant to find mushrooms growing indoors, they are quite quick and easy to remove.
Should I Be Worried About Mushrooms In My Bathroom?
It’s always worrying if you find mushrooms growing inside your bathroom. While mushrooms are relatively harmless by themselves, if they are growing indoors, that’s a sign your room has a severe moisture problem which could cause a much more serious issue – a mold infestation.
What Causes Fungi To Grow Indoors?
If you’ve found mushrooms in your home, you’re probably asking what causes fungi to grow indoors?
The spores which cause mushrooms to grow are tiny and so light that they can be carried on even the lightest breeze. They land on plants, window screens and clothes and when two single-cell spores combine, mushrooms start to grow.
Mushrooms need low light and high humidity in their environment to grow. Therefore, lots of places in your home aren’t conducive to mushroom growth. However, bathrooms do offer the perfect environment. Excess moisture and high heat are common in these spaces, and as many bathrooms have poor lighting too, it’s no wonder that mushrooms can flourish on your bathroom ceiling, walls and floors.
Does Fungus In My Bathroom Cause Health Problems?
Most people who think about mushrooms and fungi immediately wonder about whether they’re going to be poisonous. However, that’s not likely to be the main health issue you have to consider when thinking about fungus growth in your home. Most mushrooms are actually pretty harmless, although it isn’t advised to eat mushrooms which grow inside your home just in case.
The true issue which is presented by mushrooms growing in your property lies in the fact that they represent a significant moisture issue which needs to be addressed. When your home is damp enough for mushrooms to grow, it’s damp enough for mildew or black mold to grow and thrive. Mildew and mold both grow in exactly the same kind of environment as mushrooms and can cause a host of health problems like respiratory illnesses and allergic reactions.
How Do I Remove Mushrooms Growing In My Home?
Removing a mushrooms from your bathroom is quite simple. All you need to do is cut it off as closely as possible to the surface on which it is growing. Use a putty knife, box cutter or other object capable of cutting through a thick stem. Once the mushroom is cut away, put it into a bag, seal it then throw it away.
Next, treat the area where the mushroom was growing. Make a mixture of 3 parts warm water to 1 part bleach and then apply it with a cloth or sponge to the affected area. Scrub the surface well. Always wear a face mask when you do this and ventilate the area well.
Once you have completed this step, look for where the moisture is coming from. Ensure your toilet has been properly attached to the wall and sealed into the floor. There may be water running from your toilet under the floor encouraging fungus growth. You may need to replace the seal surrounding your toilet. Avoid putting wet towels on your floor and always use a bath mat. Having a dehumidifier in your bathroom or running a fan when you bathe or shower could also be beneficial.
Unfortunately, it isn’t sufficient to just treat the mushrooms which are already growing in your bathroom with fungicide products. You’ll need to guard against any further problems occurring and the best way to do this is to reduce the humidity level. If you can’t find the source of the moisture, call in a professional plumber to assess the situation and rectify it. If there has been very severe damage by water, you might need to replace the walls or floor with dry, new wood to resolve the issue.